A Man’s Love…(The story of the greatest miracle I’ve witnessed)

July 5, 2013

I witnessed the greatest miracle that I’ve ever seen. I’ve been in tears numerous times since it occurred. As long as I live, I’ll never forget what I have witnessed. I never knew this kind of miracle was possible in this day and age, but it is. The miracle I witnessed recently is very much connected to a familiar story from scripture.

I’ve read this story countless times, as I’m sure you have too. Don’t let the familiarity of the story cause you to miss the finer details, however. There is glory in the unwritten details. I’d like to take a closer look at the details of this story if possible.

There was a woman who came to a well to get some water, and she was sick…love sick. A broken woman indeed.

If you’ve been around evangelical culture for any length of time, you are probably well aware that it is not appropriate for a man to engage a woman in any sort of a substantive, spiritual manner. It is taught that women should only relate with other women in a substantive manner, and men should only relate with other men in a substantive manner. If something deviates from this norm, it is viewed as suspicious. People will disapprove and worry. Gossip and innuendo will spread. This is nothing new. This was also the case in the religious culture of Jesus’ day as well.

You know what I love about Jesus?

He didn’t give a damn about religious culture or the disapproval of people.

He saw a Samaritan woman at a well. I actually think He was waiting for her. She was a thirsty woman. Not only was she a woman, but she was a woman from a hated race with a very shady reputation. Simply put, she had a sketchy past. She also had a sketchy present. Everyone in town knew about her indiscretions. Shame was something she was accustomed to.

But He was not ashamed to jump right into her life. In public. In front of his own disciples.

His desire to give her living water trumped his own human flesh, or the care of being disapproved by the ‘worried’ religious folks who could easily accuse Him of being a ‘womanizer’. The story of Jesus’ interaction with the Samaritan woman recorded in John chapter four is one of my favorite interactions of Jesus from the scriptures. While I don’t want to rehash the entire story here, I would like for us to take a look at some of the possible behind the scene details that seem to stick out to me. I would also like to pose a very important question about this story because it has everything to do with the miracle I recently witnessed.

It is clear to me that this woman was love sick. She was desperately looking for love. I’m convinced that despite her pursuit of love, she had actually never seen real love before. The problem probably began with her father. He was not able to give her the love that she was created for. This sent her on a pursuit.

The first man in her life could not reveal love to her. Neither could the second. Neither could the third. Neither could the fourth. Neither could the fifth. The man she was currently living with, the sixth man, was also not able to reveal love to her either. She was alone, and very thirsty.

The’ love’ that she experienced with those other men always had some kind of string attached. It was not pure. Those other men, including her father, always wanted something from her. A performance of some kind. It was never enough.

The pursuit left her broken, and full of shame. In her mind, a pure no strings attached love simply did not exist. A love like that, from a man, would be too good to be true. Every man wants something. Nothing is free, and no man’s love is truly pure.

So what did God send to her?

He sent a man to her.

Trust me, no detail is insignificant. There is a reason why Jesus (a man) was sent to her. A female follower of Jesus could have easily been sent to help her, but that was not the case. I’m convinced, for her, it required a man to show her that true love actually exists

She had never seen a love that could look into her spirit, know her indiscretions, yet still burn bright for her

She had never seen a love that was entirely pure.

She had never seen a love so high that it transcended sex or anything illicit.

She had never seen a love that simply is, and that simply was for her.

She had never seen a love that is from a heavenly realm.

This Samaritan woman’s six lovers had assaulted the image of love in her eyes. The seventh man in her life, Jesus, restored the image of love in her eyes however. The restoration of love from the seventh man was far greater than the assault from the six others. Man had deeply wounded her, so it required a Man (Jesus) to heal her. When her eyes were finally opened to this love, the healing and restoration began.

Can I tell you something? I think I am ready to die. Seriously.

I have seen the greatest miracle of my life, and I am completely undone. I have recently discovered something quite startling. I have discovered that the story of the Samaritan woman from John chapter four is much more than a historical account of something that happened with Jesus in the past.

It’s a picture of something that is still occurring right now!

Are you aware that Jesus is still living out His life here on the earth today? Yes, the context, location, and names may change, but it’s really the same story. It keeps repeating itself over and over. I never knew that until recently. I personally saw John chapter four lived out with my own eyes. I experienced that same love in my very own chest. I saw the healing it brought for another. I saw the anger and the theological arguments vanish in a second. I saw the restoration with my own eyes.

After several interactions over a period of time , the awakening happened in an instant. In a conversation at the most perfect time. True, perfect love, was finally seen. Hope was restored. It is only the beginning, but it was the most profound miracle I have ever witnessed. To be completely honest, I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with a love like that. The beauty is too much. I’m undone, and I don’t think I’ll ever get over it.

30 responses to A Man’s Love…(The story of the greatest miracle I’ve witnessed)

1. “I have opened my heart to show you what’s inside. It’s all there for you. I have nothing to hide.” – Unknown

2. David Breakeronenine Carothers July 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm

He didn’t give a damn about religious culture or about the disapproval of people, set us free Lord to be like You. It’s amazing what His kind of love can and is doing. Thanks for sharing this brother.

3. Six is the number of man, for man was created on the sixth day (Gen. 1:24-31). Man was also to labor for six days before entering into the Sabbath rest (Ex. 20:8-11), and the Hebrew slave was to serve for six years (Ex. 21:2).

Zayin (seven) is a weapon in Hebrew. The perfect weapon is the Sword of the Spirit, by which spiritual warfare is accomplished, for “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal ” (2 Cor. 10:4).

Jesus used this weapon, as the 7th ‘man’ this woman encountered in search of love, to overcome what 6 carnal men had done to enslave her. Thanks for promoting the use of the use of spiritual sight over carnal in our dealings with one another bro…with the world as a whole. May the miracle continue in Jesus’ name!

4. Stunning. Amazing love.
    It’s funny that podcast I sent you is precisely on this point.

• Jamal Jivanjee July 5, 2013 at 4:51 pm

That’s Interesting Seth. I love how the Lord confirms things. I still need to listen to that:)

5. You’re right, Jamal. It’s still occurring today. The Church hasn’t trusted in “Christ in us, the hope of glory” but put confidence in the flesh (worrying about sin/error instead of Love).
    I hope you never forget your experience and I hope we all begin to recognize Jesus in us and allow Him to just be Him.
    (We can teach ourselves religion by doing all the right things, saying the right things & going to all the right places. But if there’s no transformation it isn’t the Gospel.)

Carry on brother, carry on :)

6. Thank you for sharing this Jamal! Greatly encouraging considering relationships and events of late.

• Jamal Jivanjee July 9, 2013 at 2:05 pm

So glad to hear that. Your heart is always refreshing to me. I’m looking forward to seeing you soon.

7. Beautifully written, and you have a beautiful heart. Thanks for sharing.

8. This is such at timely word brother, and one that has touched my heart so deeply, in igniting new passion for this Man of Love, our Heavenly Bridegroom. I have been in a season lately of feeling so undone as well, as He has been unveiling His attractiveness to me, and being able to see that as well through His body. The only words I have been able to think of lately, are “undone” by catching another glimpse of this Lovely Man Jesus who is drunk with love for His bride. Thanks so much for sharing this with us, so we too can experience this overwhelming of heart, in seeing with new eyes the heights, the depths, the dimensions of the Greatest Love ever known, that is directed right at us, that never wavers, but are like the sun’s own rays, sharing life, and light and glory to us who like the Samaritan woman, are not worthy of this love, nor can we contain it all…so we break, we melt, we are transformed to what we see, we become true lovers.

• Jamal Jivanjee July 9, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Sandor,

Your heart is always a breath of fresh air to me. I love how the Lord confirms what He is doing in us through the experiences of others. Blessings to you brother, and I look forward to seeing you soon:)

9. Brother Jamal,

Beautiful . John 4:4 But He NEEDED to go-thru Samaria. I am sure that wasn’t the quickest , safest, most beautiful , repution building route to get to Galilee, but He NEEDED to go that route.

Yea and Amen

10. Thank you Jamal!

Until that divine appointment with Him, we all are that Samaritan woman looking for fulfillment and satisfaction, whatever that may be. But oh, that moment when our eyes are truly opened to see, The precious Lord who has patiently waited, taken pain,relentlessly pursuing us, to give us Himself, the only Fountain of living water that never runs dry. Than we truly know, that anything else outside of Him is a broken cistern that will never be able to quench our thirst.

I love how John calls all the miracles described in his gospel signs, as they point to the Everlasting Love and Life. He is the same yesterday, today and forever and all those stories go on and on and on.

• Jamal Jivanjee July 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Marsela,

Thank you for reading and sharing your comment. What you said about ‘signs’ was very confirming to me about my next post. I appreciate you very much sister:)

11. Thanks, Jamal, this story hit very close to home. You see, like the Samaritan woman, i, too have been forgiven much. Until this post, i desperately wanted to have something in common with the noble women of the Bible. Stately women like Lydia of Thyatira or Esther or Mary mother of Jesus. But the truth is that i have more in common with the Samaritan woman, Your assumptions are correct in that she didnt receive the love from her father as she should have, and he probably didnt receive it from his parents, so he didnt have it to give.

Thank you for highlighting Jesus’ great love for her. i not only had to learn to trust & receive His love, i also had to allow Him to take away a lifetime of the wrong love that had taken up residence in my heart. Love filled with fear and disdain and desperation. Love that always left me emptier than the time before. Love that only knew how to take.

There was a ‘tearing-down’ that had to take place. Even though it was taking away something that did not serve me well, the taking away was still painful. Would i believe Him? Would i trust Him even though the ‘ripping-out from the roots’ would potentially leave a hole in me? You see, until He took away the wrong kind of love, there wasnt room for His kind of love. They cant co-exist harmoniously.

Familiarity & past experiences can be detrimental to us. He wants to do a new thing! Will i believe Him? i didnt even know His kind of pure love existed. THAT kind of love i only read about in fairy tales, in fictitious love stories.There was nothing i had ever experienced in this world that even came close to the pure love that He lavished on me without measure!

So, i get to be that virtuous woman after all, riding into the sunset with my beloved knight in shining armour. My Hero! Tears well up in me as i type this. My ending has been changed to a beautiful Love story with a happy ending. Something only our wondrous Lord could accomplish! i cant get over Him, either!

• Jamal Jivanjee July 9, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Shelby,

Sister, what a beautiful and insightful comment! What you have shared here is vitally important. I really appreciate what you shared about the ripping away of false loves so that room can be made for true love. Thanks for your openness and honesty. It is painful to go through this process, but His love is worth the pain.

I appreciate you very much:)

12. kenneth dawson July 6, 2013 at 12:56 am

yes gods love can overcome anything–I liked your post it is most thought provoking–thanks

13. Love loves to love, and only Love can express Love. What some may believe to be love is eclipsed when Love comes to town.

“I was there when they crucified my Lord
    I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword
    I threw the dice when they pierced his side
    But I’ve seen love conquer the great divide

When love comes to town I’m gonna catch that train
    When love comes to town I’m gonna catch that flame
    Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down
    But I did what I did before love came to town”
    U2 “When Love comes to Town”

• Jamal Jivanjee July 9, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Wow, incredible lyrics. I did a lot before love came to town as well. Thankfully, He has come to town:)

14. Beautiful post bro. Love didn’t fail to capture the heart of His target. Praise the Lord!

I also enjoy the beauty of the context of this story. The woman-at-the-well would be considered “an outsider”, as compared to disciples, who were the “insiders” at that point in time. And the Lord didn’t require anything special for her before He lavished His love, acceptance, and ministry on her. This is what caused her to become a disciple and go tell her village all about Him; the unconditional love. I’m betting that if He had required her to jump through some kind of hoop, to enter into the “insider circle” first, then she would have gone away untouched, & thinking that “there’s just another man with an agenda…where’s the love?”.

• Jamal Jivanjee July 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Thx for reading bro. On the other hand, I could share many stories of where The Lord required people to jump through ‘hoops’ for the purposes of exposing those who were truly hungry for Him, and those who were attempting to manipulate and control others for their own purposes.

• I’m sure you’re right about that, bro. I was just admiring the love and grace that the Lord extended the woman-at-the-well, even though her paradigm wasn’t complete and she was an outsider. It’s beautiful.

And I whole-heartedly agree that manipulating others for controlling & selfish purposes & preferences is not the Lord; under any circumstance.

15. Beautiful bro. He’s amazing!

The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood.
    We saw the glory with our own eyes,
    the one-of-a-kind glory, like Father, like Son,
    Generous inside and out, true from start to finish.

Jesus is pure agape, the only kind of love that heals, restores, transforms, redeems, brings Zoe life and grace. Agape has come and walks the earth!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks:

1. My Three European ‘Signs’ (Miracles) | Jamal Jivanjee - July 10, 2013

[...] witnessed to date.  If you have not yet read that article, please read that article by clicking HERE before you continue with today’s [...]