Cash & I.O.U.’s Only…

March 25, 2014

Last week, I spent several days in the city of Indianapolis.  During one of those days, a friend and I went to a place to eat lunch called Yatz.  Yatz is a cajon food establishment known for their good food.  There are several locations in the central Indiana area.  Normally, I wouldn’t be writing about a food establishment here on the blog.  I don’t think I’ve ever done that before.  My experienced at Yatz changed my life, however, and I’m compelled to tell you about it.

Cash & I.O.U.’s Only

As my friend and I were walking into the restaurant, she looked at me and said,

“Oh, by the way, they only take cash or I.O.U. here”.

Yeah right.  I laughed at her.  I’ve been to the occasional ‘mom & pop’ establishment before that takes cash only (and this place was not one of those), but I’ve never heard of a place that takes ‘I.O.U.’s.  Although I didn’t take my friend seriously, I took her seriously enough to ask the person behind the counter.

“Yup, cash and I.O.U.’s only”.

What? What kind of a place gives out I.O.U.’s? I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.   I didn’t have any cash on me, so an I.O.U. it was going to be.  I felt extreme embarrassment as the man took our order and handed me an I.O.U. ticket for $12.00. As I stood there with my mouth hanging open in astonishment, he simply grinned at me and walked away. I could tell that he had seen the expression on my face before many times.

As my friend and I sat down at a table to wait for our food, I couldn’t believe what had just occured. In a day and age in which most people pay with credit or debit cards, establishments that take only cash usually have signs indicating that. Not to mention, this was no mom & pop, or start up establishment. It is a well established restaurant with several locations. They don’t take credit / debit cards because they don’t want to. It also seems that they want to catch their customers off guard by not letting them know about their cash only policy. It’s like they actually want to give out I.O.U.’s to people! I’ve never seen anything like it from a business establishment.

When our food was brought out to us, I honestly had a hard time eating the jambalaya that I ordered. Was it right that I eat this heaping plate of food that I didn’t have the ability to pay for? A bit of fear and insecurity that I didn’t know was still in me rose to the surface.

Love will do that.

Before perfect love casts out fear, it first brings it to the surface. How did they know I was going to come back and pay them? They didn’t know me, nor did they take any of my personal information. They extended me total and complete trust. To be extended trust based on credit or history of the past is one thing, to be extended trust with no external reason or strings attached is quite another.

As I sat there and pondered all of this, I sensed the Lord speaking to my heart. Here are some statements that I heard:

“My love trusts. My love believes all things”.

“My trust (love) of you is not rooted in you externally, rather, my trust (love) is rooted in the source. I am the source and root of trust (love)”.

“Trust is a state of being”.

“My trust is not naive or gullable because it is rooted internally in my own being and not in you or others externally apart from me”.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and seeing. This restaurant was a small picture of what divine indweling trust (love) looks like. They extended radical trust toward their customers, not because of the customers behavior or history, but because of a culture of trust that came from within the restaurant itself.

Although my friend and I were only there for about 30-45 minutes, the culture of trust that existed within Yats restaurant was quite palpable and liberating to me personally. This kind of a place didn’t seem to fit within the world’s economic system.

Trust (love) is a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Precious saints, imagine for a moment a community of mothers and fathers, and brothers & sisters who radically trusted one another as a way of life. Imagine a lifestyle of trust that flowed from a revelation of Jesus Christ. Imagine the richness of relationships that could spring from a culture like this. The absence of fear that true indwelling divine trust brings would break the common familiar dams that keep us from deeply and intimately sharing life together in relationship with one another.

Brothers and sisters, I have great news for us today. We don’t have to wait any longer to deeply trust each other. We can trust one another right now. No, not because of our own trustworthiness, but because our trust is rooted in the source of trust (love) that dwells within. He is our trust. We simply extend that trust to one another directly from the source who is trust personified.

“She (Love) bears up under everything; believes the best in all; there is no limit to her hope, and never will she fall”. (1 Cor. 13:7, ISV)

Love!

37 responses to Cash & I.O.U.’s Only…

1. Beautiful, Love’s expression is limitless, for Love fills the entirety of His creation.

In this fullness His call for us is to trust, and as in all of His ways, He provides all, the desire, and ability to trust.

The image of saints expressing Trust ‘in’ Love is just what the creation is waiting on. For the sons of Love & Trust to be revealed. In this revealing, Love & Trust will be expressed, and the invitation to join them at the table for a meal of Love & Trust. Ahhh the possibilities…

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
    Do not depend on your own understanding.”

I tip my hat to the kind folks at Yatz’s.

• Jamal Jivanjee March 25, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Yes, this is certainly what the creation is crying out for. The kingdom of manifested in such ways. Thanks for your comment Jim.

2. Limitless love. It’s a beautiful thing. And knowing what we experience here on earth is pea sized compared to the immeasurable love and trust our Father has in store. *sigh* We can live in it here, now, and not HAVE to wait to experience his love. How cool is that???

3. That’s flat out awesome !
    Many, not just “Christians” are awakening to a revelation of the true economy of LOVE and OneAnothering that is in His/Our DNA. It feels weird at first because of thousands of years of atrophy but but liberating and joyful once practiced. We don’t have to do “Business as usual” . We can listen to the Spirit within us and walk in the ancient way we were intended to walk before we chose our ways. Big ear to ear :-D

4. Wow! That one knocked me on my butt. Thanks so much for your vulnerability.

5. Jamal, what do you mean by “deeply trust one another”?

• Jamal Jivanjee March 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Great question. Deep within us, there is a life (Christ) that has made His dwelling and home within our spirit. When we know one another from that place, we are free to deeply trust that life (Christ) in one another. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for the question.

6. I like the name, ‘Yats’ especially when you reverse it!

• Jamal Jivanjee March 26, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Hey, that’s cool. When we trust the way ‘Yats’ demonstrated, it’s a place we can ‘stay’. That’s the home we were created for. I love that. Thanks for sharing.

7. Thank you for sharing this, Jamal. This new revelation you received in a restaurant deepened my view of the ‘economy’ of the Kingdom. One of Jay Ferris’ famous sayings was that the love of Christ as demonstrated on the Cross is the only legal tender, or medium of exchange in the Kingdom of God, Romans 13:8. Speaking of, he also wrote a longer article on trust that I’ll share the link for. I think it compliments what you wrote.

It is encouraging to read of your journey, and what the Lord is teaching you every step of the way. It is the answer of our heart’s desire, and His, to be a part of a Kingdom that is unshakeable.

• Jamal Jivanjee March 26, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Pamela,

Yes! This is certainly a major expression of the unshakeable kingdom that is being birthed through us!

Also, thanks for sharing the post on trust from Jay. I’m looking forward to reading that. Blessings to you:)

8. Hi Jamal, So are you saying we don’t trust people we trust Jesus in them? Practically, what does that look like? How do you define trust? If I have a friend who has lied to me several times, they have confessed and want to change it’s still hard though to trust what they say. What do I do with that?

• Jamal Jivanjee March 27, 2014 at 4:53 pm

That’s a great question, and one that I have wrestled with many times. I can tell you that trusting someone who has previously hurt and lied to you is impossible. I’ve tried this in the name of ‘forgiving & forgetting’. It simply doesn’t work. Trust cannot come from anything external. When the source of our trust shifts from an external place (another person, situation, past experiences, etc…) to an internal reality (Christ), we can begin to trust as a disposition or state of being. This will translate into the acceptance of the person, even if we don’t put a lot of stock in the specifics of what they might be telling us, or a situation.

9. Daniel Gingerich March 26, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Jamal, that’s a great story. Now, lets image that our government would operate like that business. Warning: that’s a heavily loaded sentence :)

• Jamal Jivanjee March 27, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Ha, no government made by human beings could operate this way. They lack the necessary resources;)

• Daniel Gingerich March 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Doesn’t the U.S. government already operate in a similar way? Don’t majority of their clients simply have different expectations, demands, and ethics / morals? What would happen if the response of the clients of our government was the same as yours when you were granted an I.O.U at the restaurant? I think there would be a massive “overhaul” on the rise for this country in many ways. I’m just “touching the tip of the iceberg.” I could easily argue that the resources are vastly plentiful… I think things other than resources are “lacking” :-)

10. Kenneth Dawson March 26, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Great story Jamal..what I have found out in my Christ-experience is that only AGAPE love conquers fear and allows trust to develope..thanks for the great post..good as always.

11. Mary Ellen Robinson March 26, 2014 at 9:27 pm

What a cool place! I love that story :=) I want Brianna to know how much I enjoyed meeting her while visiting Nashville. She is a true gem. I don’t have any contact info for her.

• Jamal Jivanjee March 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Thanks for your comment Mary. Which Brianna are you referring to? I don’t know any Briannas that live in Nashville.

• Mary Ellen Robinson April 3, 2014 at 12:52 am

Jamal, I guess Brianna is from Indianapolis, but stayed in Nashville for awhile with someone there when her car broke down. She was at the Sunday morning meeting when I went with Andy Hollinger a while back….. thanks.

• Jamal Jivanjee April 3, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Mary,

I know who you’re talking about! You’re talking about Brittany. She is my FAVORITE! I will be sure to tell her. Blessings to you.

12. As this post and the many comments suggest, trust presents many issues in terms of self-protection, sharing, exposure, risk and so forth.

Consider that Jesus entrusted all of the resources of the group with one whom He knew to be untrustworthy. Why? This makes no practical sense does it. Would any of us do that? Well, my thought is that He so perfectly trusted the Father to protect Him and bring Him through this crucible, that He left all the details up to Him; even the ones that made no sense on the surface. Once we come to truly trust the father, we do not need to protect ourselves to the degree that we do today. Even if we are hurt, betrayed, robbed, etc then the Father’s loving purpose through it all is the real practical consideration. The Master taught much on giving up the stewardship of our well-being and interests to the Father. Now Jesus certainly knew Judas and He did not trust him, but He most certainly loved Him; that is very clear.

If we trust as Jamal suggests, we will be hurt, betrayed, deprived, let down by others, yes we will. But Jesus never based His trust on the disciples and their trustworthiness (He knew their hearts, their fears, He is no naive fool), but on the Father’s. I hope this helps.

• Jamal Jivanjee March 27, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Wayne,

Your comment is worth gold. I hope all who visit this post will see what you shared here. It is vitally important and helps bring clarity. Thanks Wayne:)

13. Jamal, this discussion Is so what I need. Even after reading Wayne’s comments I still think I am missing something. I don’t think I am understanding the core of this issue and I really want to. I just don’t understand ” trust as a disposition or state of being”. I define trust as rely, depend on. Before this discussion, I’ve thought here is my circle of friends that I trust(because for the most part they have been trustworthy) and here is my circle that I don’t trust. But it seems like you are saying no one is trustworthy. But aren’t some people more than others? Is my definition of trust off?

• Jamal Jivanjee April 15, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Comparing some people with others would mean that some folks are more trustworthy than others. Although that might come naturally to our flesh, eventually, most people will let us down and we’ll always find reasons to not trust someone fully. I think the Lord has a higher way for us. I believe that we are called to extend (or lavish) trust on others, not because they are trustworthy, but because we are operating from the source of life in us (Christ) who is the personification of trust. We give trust away as a way of life because we are simply extending the life of the one who is trust who lives within us. I hope that makes sense.

• Jamal, thank you for helping me in my understanding the issue of trust. Unfortunately, I’m realizing my “old way” of thinking is extremely thick. I understand that I shouldn’t put trust in people. But can you give me some more examples of what that looks like in a relationship. Can you and anyone else recommend some reading materials that would be helpful in my understanding? How do you define trust? What does trust as a state of being or disposition mean? Thanks for being patient.

• I am in the same position as E Bun. I need a definition of trust. I can fully trust God, but I cannot even fully trust my own husband. I realize I should be counting on the HS to help me discern the situation. I pray under my breath or in my head as I am listening to someone or just meeting someone. I know instantly when my husband is lying or as some say stretching the truth. But what do we do if one continually lies, deceives, and uses us? What if it is a family member or spouse who is saved? This seems insane. It is not a matter of treating them with love, but trusting them. I cannot do that.

• Jamal Jivanjee May 12, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Tifani,

Thanks for reading, and for your comment here on the blog. I’d like to ask you a question if I could. Does trust originate from an external source, or an internal one?

• I’m not sure how to answer your question. When I say I trust someone I mean “I/me/myself”. I am making that decision. I do not expect or think that God is supernaturally giving me that trust. It is based on whether or not that person deserves it. I still treat them kindly and lovingly. But I do not give trust with myself, my money, my things, my time if I know they cannot be trusted. I fully believe God can change a heart. I also believe in free will to the point that the person can reject God’s help/leading and stay in that sinful state if they wish to. So in my mind, it’s not a matter of trusting God, but it is separate when I say whether or not I trust a person. I don’t know if that answered the question or not.

• Jamal Jivanjee May 14, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Tifani,

Thanks for your response. I think the difference between human and divine trust is the source. Human trust is external and places trust on the actions of another. Divine trust extends trust to another that may not be deserved, but is given nonetheless. This is only possible because the source of trust is Christ, not anything external like the flesh of another person or their actions. Human trust that is rooted in the external has a limited shelf-life. Yes, some people may seem more trust-worthy than others, but eventually, the flesh of people will always prove itself to be untrustworthy. Trust that comes from love (Christ) is never-ending, however. It is this trust extended to the ‘untrustworthy’ that transforms the most untrustworthy of people. This is why Paul says in 1 Cor. 13 that ‘love believes all things…”

14. At the very end of His earthly life, Jesus said something that is most profound – He said this”Father into your hands I commend my spirit”.

Here is this wonderful falling blindly backward into the Father’s care. This is the reason we can love so freely, trust so loosely and vicariously, because in the end, whether we live or die, lose or gain, we are in His care. What others do or don’t do is not what matters. We do not need to so voraciously protect ourselves that we fail in loving all, even our enemies, even the Judas among us.

15. Hey Jamal, I can’t believe you were in my corner of the world and I didn’t know about it. I’ve enjoyed Yats for years but didn’t know about the I.O.U. I hope you had a good time in Indy.

• Jamal Jivanjee April 15, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Sorry I missed you Doug. I had a great time in Indy. Yeah, you should try Yats IOU concept sometime. It’s mind blowing!