Too Precious For Marketing & Rare Snow Leopards

May 21, 2014

As a blogger, I do engage in forms of marketing.  No, not for profit, but because I desire to bless others with the treasure that I have been blessed with.  It’s for love’s sake.  With that said, I want to say that the most precious things in life could never be marketed or understood if shared.  The most glorious treasure that the Lord desires to share with you will never be found in a book, blog, sermon, podcast, etc… As a lover of a good book, blog, podcast, etc…  I will be the first to say that those things have their place in our lives.  I’m simply saying that there is no substitute for one thing…

Experience.

I’m convinced that the highest form of experience that exists is relational experience.  Our Lord is highly relational, and we are made in His image & likeness.  In the world’s systems, including the religious system, the emphasis is put on many other types of experience, but in our Lord’s kingdom, true experience is relational experience.  The deepest and most intimate forms of communication occur in the depths of relating one to another.

Have you ever taken a walk, or gotten away simply to commune with the Lord?  Some of my greatest treasures have come from those times.  Things He has revealed to my heart in the things around me, impressions He has laid on my heart, and signs He has expressed to me in a way that no one else would understand.  We have our own form of communication.  Although I have written about some of those things, much of those times we have had together could never be talked about in written form.  No words exist to communicate what we have shared.

Please understand that I’m not talking about simply relating to our Lord within our spirit, I’m also talking about relating to our Lord with one another.  The more we begin to commune with Christ in us and in one another, the more we are able to delight in and experience Christ in the richest of ways.  As we delight in one another through the relationships the Lord has given us, I have discovered that our adoration and awe for the Lord takes on an entirely new dimension.  The treasures of the kingdom that are given to us in those relationships are too precious to be read in a book or spoken through the use of human language.  This kind of knowing can only be experienced.  Thankfully, this makes the marketing of such treasure impossible. I could never communicate the glory and joy of such experiences with you. You’ll have to experience them for yourselves.

Rare Snow Leopards

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

As many of you may know, I love watching movies.  If you’ve ever read the gospels, you’ll know that our Lord loved to communicate the reality of the kingdom through the use of stories (parables).  Human beings are story tellers by nature, and that’s why we love to make and watch movies.  I recently saw a film that I would highly recommend to our readers.  The film is called The Secret Life of Walter Mitty starring Ben Stiller, Kristin Wiig, & Sean Penn.  Without getting into a complete review of the film, I’d like to describe one scene that I believe beautifully captures the concept of something so precious it cannot be marketed.

In the film, Sean Penn’s character is a world renown photographer known for capturing some of the world’s greatest images.  He was always on the move, often times in the most dangerous of places,  in search of photos that would reveal treasure and tell the world’s most important stories.  Simply put, he was a hard man to track down.  Ben Stiller’s character (film editor) desperately needed to find him, and after considerable adventure, tracked him down.

Sean Penn’s character (famous photographer) was on a mountain looking to capture a picture of a rare snow leopard.  This type of snow leopard was so rare and elusive, no photos had yet been taken of it.  When Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller) found him, he was crouched down behind his camera that has been carefully set up to capture this rare snow leopard when he made his appearance.

As they carefully awaited the appearance of this rare snow leopard, it suddenly walked out in plan sight.  What they were witnessing was historic.  Sean Penn had the beautiful animal in clear sight and focus of his camera.  The only problem was awe.  He was in awe.  The sight was simply too precious to capture on film.  He couldn’t snap the picture and market it out to the world in plain sight.  It was too precious.  He refused to take the picture.  Although I have experienced something similar before, this was the first time I saw this expressed in a movie.  It was a powerful moment in the film.  This is also one reason why I believe Jesus spoke in parables.

Please understand that I’m not writing these things to discourage you from reading books, blogs, or podcasts (obviously), but to wet your appetite for experience.

Relational experience.

I want you to know that there is tremendous treasure waiting for you specifically.  Prepared before the foundations of the world.  This kind of relational treasure cannot be given to you in a book or blog alone, rather it must be experienced by you personally through relationship.  When you experience the treasure, you will find much of it too wonderful to be shared with the masses.  Like Sean Penn’s character in the film, you will treasure it in your heart forever.

Love!

21 responses to Too Precious For Marketing & Rare Snow Leopards

1. Kenneth Dawson May 21, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Dude I know what you are saying because I have had those relational experiences a few times in my life-even when I was unregenerated…then later in my walk with The Lord he told me about those experiences when I was unsaved and I told him..your kidding..that was you? Your so right..there is no way to market those experiences..I just tell folks..you will have to experience it for yourself.

2. Wow. I have not seen that movie, but now I will. But having even not seen it, I SEE it in my spirit as you’ve painted it, and also the parallel you are simultaneously painting. When you SEE Jesus, the Glory just cannot be “captured.” It is simply to be “experienced.” Well done.

3. Mary O’Neal May 21, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I have a friend like this to experience Christ with in ways I can’t tell you about that you would understand. We maintain our individual personalities to see things the same way after the Holy Spirit reveals it and it is usually a process of slicing and dicing our opinions and our characters until God gives us a revelation of what He is doing. At first we angered each other until the Lord showed me there was a demon of strife between us. After taking authority over this demon, we still go through the same process but know the revelation comes and we just keep pursuing in our conversation and praying until we stand at awe at how God does this. How could this turn out good but by now we expect supernatural revelation between us. Neither one of us has experienced this with any other. It is just how the Holy Spirit does what He does and it is marvelous in our eyes. We have this “experience” enough to not be afraid of it and allow God to transform us in our characters. To experience Christ in us in this way is supernatural.

• Jamal Jivanjee May 21, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Mary,

Thanks for your comment and for sharing your experience here with us. I’m very glad you have been given the gift of this relationship with this other brother in Christ. It’s a rare gift to be given such a close friendship, and it’s also a rare gift that you have been given the freedom to walk in it without fear. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

4. That was indeed a powerful scene in the movie! And what a wise connection you made, to Sean Penn not snapping the picture to mass-market it for personal gain.

Sean Penn and Walter Mitty enjoyed that moment together. It was one that they would relive again and again in their hearts and in their emotions. Sean Penn seemed to understand the deep desire of all of us – to deeply connect to someone by observing and experiencing the same thing. (Perhaps he may would taken a picture of the moment and marketed it, if he lacked a relationship to share it with?)

Thank Jamal you for such a beautiful picture of relational intimacy. It’s really making me think today.

• Jamal Jivanjee May 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Pamela,

Thanks for your comment. That’s a very interesting question. Sharing that scene with ‘Walter Mitty’ was treasure enough for Sean Penn’s character. It is quite possible he may have been tempted to market it without the greater treasure of sharing it with another. I never thought about that. Fascinating. Thank you:)

5. I recently watched this movie. I was so engrossed in this movie and at the same time the Lord was speaking to me, at one point my son in law looked over at me and asked me if I was ok. I also have been recommending this movie to people.

6. Jamal,

Thanks for sharing this with us, is beautiful! I have not seen the movie, hopefully I will, sounds very interesting. It is also worth to note the fact, that this guy had to wait for that “treasure” in order not to miss it. Waiting is a big part in this whole thing. I’m sure that rare creature was going to reveal himself in his own terms, in his own time, and this guy was determined to wait, intently, no matter what. He would miss other things in the process, but not this. He believed that experiencing this rare creature was worth all, his attention, his time, and he was not disappointed, he was in awe. When we all learn this kind of heart attitude towards The Lord, to wait on Him, to reveal Himself to us in His own terms, sharing that awe in an intimate level will happen, as that Treasure becomes the One thing in which our hearts are united.

• Jamal Jivanjee June 2, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Marsela,

Thank you very much for your comment. That is very true, and a great reminder to us. I’m looking forward to hearing how you like this film!

7. Jamal,

Thank you for sharing your insight into this pivotal scene of the movie. I agree with you that “the deepest and most intimate forms of communication occur in the depths of relating one to another”. For this I am forever thankful. My life has been changed because of what happens in these encounters. This film is a rich invitation to see this life of friendship and relational depth.

Someone once said 7 words that seem quite fitting for the scene in this movie, and your insightful blog post.

“We were together. I forget the rest.” – Walt Whitman

8. ‘reminds me of the the day our first son was born – one friend asked me how it felt and I could only say, “it can only be experienced.” Again yesterday in a concert for school children, I was supposed to be recording on camera only to realize midway I was not filming – it was like it wasn’t the same viewing through the lens and directly.
    Thanks Jamal for sharing – very edifying indeed.

9. While I LOOOOVED the whole movie (saw it again on my flight back from Scotland), that scene grabbed a hold of me like nothing else. I wanted to watch it over and over and over. It’s true – especially in the age of wanting to capture everything on film/video – wanting to share every experience – it’s just not the same as actually experiencing the moment and sharing it with the one you’re with. No picture ever does justice to the actual experience of what you just took a photo of. I feel that all the time as I share photos. I love photos, videos, movies, etc – but they are just a tool to take us back to what was the most important part of all -the emotions, the touches, the smell, the experience of what was happening at that moment and who it was happening with. Sometimes you don’t need a photo for that, just your imagination to recall the richness of the moment. Be in the moment – that’s a hard one for me – but a mantra I keep telling myself more often these days. Thanks for sharing Jamal! Look forward to catching up soon!

• Jamal Jivanjee June 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Great comment Christy. I think you are wonderful at just being in the moment you are in. Glad you enjoyed the film, and the post. I too look forward to catching up soon.