How do you know, that you know, that you know you’ve been adopted?

July 17, 2014

I have good news for you.  You’ve been adopted.  No, really.  You’ve been adopted in the real sense of the word.  It’s not just a figure of speech.  Unfortunately, for most people reading this, you have not experienced adoption.  This has been the case in my own life until recently.  In today’s post, I’d like to answer two questions about adoption that I believe are vitally important.

Question #1. When Were We Adopted

The answer to question # 1 is this…Before the foundations of the world.

The fact is, God is a robust family within Himself.  Before the foundations of the world were laid, outside of time, we were adopted right into the midst of the one who is family.

Question #2. When do we know that we’re adopted?

This question is my favorite.  It’s one thing to be told that you’re adopted, it’s quite another thing to experience adoption.  The beautiful thing about adoption is that the person being adopted isn’t like one of the family, they actually become part of the very family itself.

For example if you meet someone who has a family of seven children, five of them natural & two of them adopted, they would never introduce the two adopted children as “my adopted children“.  If they do, you can bet that they don’t understand adoption.  True adoption removes the separation and distinction.  Adoption is never lesser.

In the same way, we have been adopted into the family of God.  As a matter of fact, we were adopted into the family of God well before the illusion and false reality of orphanhood assaulted us in time.  The myth of orphanhood, built upon a lie, has plagued humanity.  Thankfully, the Lord has destroyed the illusion of that false reality.  We know this, not just because some guy named Paul wrote about it a couple thousand years ago, but because our Lord is actively demonstrating adoption in something He is currently building.

What is He building?

He’s building a family.  No, He’s not building a shadow family like the one we were born into physically, He’s actually building something greater.  This family consists of people who may be mothers & fathers to us.  This family consists of people who may be sons & daughters to us.  This family consists of people who also may be brothers and sisters to us as well.

We don’t receive mothers & fathers, sons & daughters, and brothers & sisters simply by default or title, rather, we receive these family members into our lives by personal revelation that leads to real, living relationships.

It takes a revelation from the Lord to see someone as your son or daughter in the Lord.  It takes a revelation on their part for them to see you as father or mother.  The same can be said about someone who is your brother or sister in the Lord.  I can tell you from experience, however, that when the Lord gives someone to you as a son or daughter, and they likewise see you as a father or mother, it is glorious beyond anything human language could describe.  The same can be said about someone who the Lord gives to you as a brother or sister, and they likewise see you as a brother or sister.

When this occurs, you will see & relate to these people as your very own family.  Part of your very own body.  They will not be a lesser part of your family than your own flesh and blood family.  When this occurs, you know that you are experiencing the very adoption of God.  Until we experience this in real living relationships, the adoption of God is only theoretical in our lives.  Likewise, until we experience adoption in real living relationships, the church that Jesus Christ is building will also be theoretical in our lives.

Know that you’ve been gloriously adopted!  If you haven’t experienced this glorious adoption relationally, that’s ok.  There is hope.  The Lord has family awaiting you.  He may have a mother to give to you in relationship to express His motherhood to you.  He may have a father to give to you in relationship to express His fatherhood to you.  He may have a brother or sister to give to you in relationship to express His brotherhood or sisterhood to you.  He will do this in His time and in a way that you may not have foreseen.  You will be unable to manufacture it.

Precious ones, keep your eyes open for this heavenly family.  When you experience His adoption relationally, it’s like heaven on earth!  Actually, it is heaven on earth!

Love!

“For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as children by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:15)

“Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel’s sake, but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions…” (Mark 10:29-30)

14 responses to How do you know, that you know, that you know you’ve been adopted?

1. The stunning beauty of the inbreaking Kingdom of The Son He Loves is expressed in these heavenly relationships. The seeing and being seen, the acceptance, compassion, and Love that flows in these relationships is truly out of this world.

Additionally these relationships are ‘contagious’ and this only adds to the unfolding beauty of Love and His Kingdom.

“And He was saying to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. “Go; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.…” ~ Jesus

• Jamal Jivanjee July 17, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Jim, thanks for your comment. This quote really sticks out to me:

“The seeing and being seen, the acceptance, compassion, and Love that flows in these relationships is truly out of this world.”

It’s how Christ (kingdom of God) is manifested here on the earth.

2. Having just moved to beautiful Nashville we are experiencing this love from people we just met. No holds bar love being poured on us because of Christ. It’s a beautiful relationship that is brand new, but feels like it’s already been established.
    His love. His beauty everywhere.

3. Mary Ellen Robinson July 17, 2014 at 10:43 pm

This is a beautiful picture, Jamal! But it does seem hard to come by in this American culture. I grew up living in community, lived somewhat in community while on the mission field; and am now experiencing the least amount of community ever in my life. Trusting Him who is our All to bring those relationships ….

• Jamal Jivanjee July 19, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Mary,

Thanks for reading and for sharing your comment and struggle here. I do understand what you’re experiencing. Something that I have realized is that community if first experienced in one to one relationship. When the Lord brings someone into our life whom we’ve been given eyes to see through the eyes of the Lord, and they us as well, that’s divine. That’s where love begins to be unlocked and expressed through us. This is the essence of the house that the Lord builds. May the Lord reveal to you those precious ones that He has given to you to see, know, and walk with.

4. Kenneth Dawson July 18, 2014 at 12:57 am

Yes I resonate with Mary Ellen..there does seem to be a shortage of real live Christ oriented community in this country but I’m sure that if one trusts in the father to provide it he will lead you to it…it just might be small but even a little is valuable.

5. Mary O’Neal July 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm

It is as you say Jamal, these relationships do come from the Lord Himself. Our father in the faith is a minister who did a small bible study in our friends country home on Friday nights. It was the Friday night prayer meeting and bible study. My husband and I and our six children began going to it after an invitation. We were indoctrinated Catholics who had just accepted the Lord as our Savior and didn’t even know what it meant except the joy and peace we felt inside. He taught us how to use the bible, taught us about salvation and the benefits of the cross of Jesus and how to walk in It and how to love and be loved by example. He since moved to Virginia, but our daughter and her family moved to VA and now each time we visit her we stay at our spiritual mom and dads house for refresher courses of great fellowship. Now since we have been saved for almost 40 yrs. we have younger ones in the faith that call us mom and dad and we have many spiritual children. In this way we are always needed, included, loved, and wanted. It is what the Lord has done and we praise Him for it. Jamal, we think of you as our spiritual son in the Lord and are blessed with such fellowship with you that I don’t think we get any where else. Thank you son for this. Amen!

6. many of us have yet to experience the unity and love of being adopted into God’s family only because we are not yet ready to receive such a wonderful spiritual gift. We are and can only be one “in the Spirit”…just as God is spirit. For many of us, we are not yet able to experience the relationships which only God can give. We are too often looking for sameness, unity of doctrine, unity of thought, unity of purpose, NOT the unity of the Spirit in the bonds of peace. However, as we die to our fleshly desires for “oneness” or for “community”, we become desperate enough to forget our ideas, priorities and ourselves and rather than orchestrate or build we lay ourselves on the altar and open ourselves to receiving from Him the gift of relationship. It is for me an experience of “on earth as in heaven.”

7. Mary Ellen Robinson July 21, 2014 at 3:04 am

Thank you, Jamal, and others who have commented specifically on the relationship side of *community*. I believe this will be helpful for me, as I ponder these things and continue to trust Him to reveal to me those relationships that are from Him. I am encouraged!

8. Hello, Jamal! Mike Morrell asked me to contact you because he really appreciates your blog and thinks you’d be an excellent candidate for his Speakeasy Blogger Network. Do you like to review off-the-beaten path faith, spirituality, and culture books? Speakeasy puts interesting books in your hands at no charge to you. You only get books when you request them, and it’s free to join. Sign up here, if you’d like: http://thespeakeasy.info

9. When our family had to move to Germany for a year, my friends asked me how I had the nerve to be able to do such a thing with children to think about. I told them what Father had spoken to me. “Sweetheart, you have family in Germany too, and I will reveal them to you in my time.” We found them right away, and some are still “tight” to this day, by email and phone. That was 17 years ago, so I KNOW it’s real, because I have walked in the joy of this gift for many years. They have been here to stay in our home; vacation with us and we have shared “life”, sometimes with Gods word opened in German on some laps, and in English on others. Now when I travel or am at home, I just ask ask Father, “Which ones are You giving to me in a special way?” and He shows me. Pretty special, like Christmas morning as my dear husband used to say. We can go deep right away, and we do not get offended easily. (That is the special part for me.) Blessings, Carleen

• Carleen,

What a beautiful comment. What you shared is very timely for me, and encourages me more than you know. Blessings to you.